Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is it possible that the volume slider control works in linear mode only?

yes
0 (0%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Topic: Log or Lin Volume Control  (Read 5347 times)

June 01, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
    • View Profile
Log or Lin Volume Control
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Hello,

I am playng with this very interesting player. One thing that come up is quite difficult adjust the volume output level because the 80% of it is reachable on the first 20% of its stroke.
Looks that the volume slider has Linear behaviour instead Logarithmic: could it be possible?

Thanks.

June 01, 2014, 08:41:25 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Log or Lin Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »
The volume control is linear, as it should be, all other players use it.
But what you described "the 80% of it is reachable on the first 20% of its stroke" it doesn't look like linear or logarithmic behavior it looks strange.
Which Windows version and audio output do you use?

June 04, 2014, 09:45:06 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:06 PM »
I use Winyl on Windows 7 32bit (Sony Vaio laptop) and 8.1 32bit (Acer Iconia W4 Tablet) .

For what i knew since i was a student the Volume control should be Logaritmic scale instead Linear to compensate the not linear percetion way of humans about sound pressure variation.
While i am writing this i Googled for a short while and find easly this article that explain clearly what i mean:
http://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/volumecontrols.html

If linear variation the main sound perception variation is within the first 20% of the knob/Slider stroke.

June 04, 2014, 11:52:54 PM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
A good article, but
With linear behaviour 50% on volume slider = 50% of loudness and 70% = 70%, it's simple for users.
With logaripmic it will be 50% = 20% of loudness and 70% = 40% approximately, it will be look like the volume control doesn't work properly.
And most software and Windows use linear behaviour, it is more usual for users. So if I'll change the behavior then for most users it will be look weird, even if it will work "more correct".
Maybe I'll add an option for this in the future, but I'm not sure, it seems no one needs it. You are the first one who asked about this.

July 31, 2014, 05:14:38 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
For what it is worth, there are a couple of factual errors in previous posts...

1.  With linear behaviour 50% on volume slider = 50% of loudness

Actually not so. The ear hears with "A" weighted log scaling as someone else has already stated. Hence the use of the decibel scale on all professional sound level meters.

2.  The volume control is linear, as it should be, all other players use it.

I was using another player the other day that had the option to use either linear or log scaling.

Interestingly, after saying all that, the volume control sounds to me very much like it is actually tracking in log scale anyway. The sound increases very smoothly. This would not happen if the scaling was linear. Since I am a qualified audio engineer with more than 40 years in the industry, i would be happy to go into technical details if required.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:22:06 PM by jdwebb2 »