Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Praise, suggestions & questions  (Read 5873 times)

February 12, 2011, 04:19:33 PM
    • View Profile
Praise, suggestions & questions
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:33 PM »
Hello

I'll start with praise, as I find Vinyl as an excellent audio player - neat looking, simple yet rich in features that I need.
So thanks for all the work put into Vinyl and keep up good work!

There is one thing I miss, and it's really something that almost all audio players lack - which is I think kind of strange. (time for a little rant ;)) Because believe me - most players don't have any way to random sorting or random playing full albums. You can't imagine how much time I've spent looking for player that does something this simple. Songbird does that only with plugin (but songbird is huge & slow as hell), foobar looks ugly (no skins support) and AlbumPlayer costs around 30 euros (!). And that's pretty much all I could find (well, there are linux players that do that but no chance for windows port anytime soon). So, as I've lost hope that AIMP will ever have that feature (its developers are rather focused on different things - like random visualisation switching - yeah, that's really important in AUDIO player) I've decided to once again look for an alternative - that's how I've discovered Vinyl. So here I'am kindly asking for implementing some way of random album playing. It could by achieved in many ways - there could be just a 'play random album' button, there could be alternative shuffle mode that plays whole album then at the end it jumps to randomly picked album from playlist. Or some way to random sorting of the playlist, so albums are always randomly positioned on the list. The reason for this feature is simple - people sometimes have many music albums in library (>100) and it's hard to listen to all of them. With time, we tend to forget some of them and we play 30-50 albums all the time. And even if someone likes to dig through his library (I don't) - we tend to pick same albums and reject others with some kind of regularity (true story!). So I want my album player to surprise me! :) I want to re-discover by accident music I liked few years ago. That's why I strive to find a decent looking, free or cheap audio player with such feature - so far with no luck. Vinyl is almost ideal for me. I honestly can say that - thanks to its simplicity - is even better than AIMP. With that 'random album thing' I could finally stop searching internet like a madman =)

So my question is: is there any chance for something like this in the near future?

Another question is out of curiosity - in what programming language is vinyl developped? I could call myself an amateur programmer as I'm quite ok with actionscript and php and slowly learning java. But I'm completely green when it comes to programming native applications for windows.

Once again thnx for this really great piece of software as Vinyl!
Cheers!

February 13, 2011, 07:13:27 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Praise, suggestions & questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
I'll start with praise, as I find Vinyl as an excellent audio player - neat looking, simple yet rich in features that I need.
So thanks for all the work put into Vinyl and keep up good work!
Thank you.

So my question is: is there any chance for something like this in the near future?
We planned to add "smart playlists" feature in the next version 2.4. It will solve your problem. At this moment you can download a test version http://vinylsoft.com/download/test/Winyl(Random).zip (first install latest version 2.3 then unzip this archive to Winyl folder). In the test version you can find two new items, see screenshot. You can use this version until 2.4 is not released.

Another question is out of curiosity - in what programming language is vinyl developped? I could call myself an amateur programmer as I'm quite ok with actionscript and php and slowly learning java. But I'm completely green when it comes to programming native applications for windows.
Winyl written in C++. It's full native Windows program.

February 16, 2011, 03:25:57 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Thank You Sir!

Thanks for new update and - obviously - for test version with smart playlist! Works perfectly! :) Oh, what a relief I can finally stick to one player that have it all :D Thanks a million!

One more question - regarding skinning system. I would like to design a skin or two for winyl. I'm new to skinning but it looks quite easy with all elements split into simple xml files. Why I could easily design something new based on one of the skins already in the package, I was wondering if this skinning system is based on some kind of general skinning engine? So I can look-up a 'list of all available elements' on the web or something? I'm not asking for tutorial or anything like that, just need push in right direction. If analysing already made skins and experimenting is only option for now - I'll probably do this anyway, as I'm a customization freak ;).

Thank you again for such a quick response - now listening to music while working became even more pleasant (I work as a graphic designer so i spent a lot of time in front of computer)

Cheers!

February 16, 2011, 08:54:37 PM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
I'm afraid that there is no list of all elements and the skinning system is not based on any another, but you can see how the implemented iTunes skin, it uses all currently supported elements. I advise to start with the modification of one of the default skin, this will be the easiest solution.

You can create a topic on the "Skins" forum and ask all questions about skinning system, or send me to the e-mail (you can find it in program about dialog). I will to answer them as soon as possible. Also you can send me the design of the skin when it's will done and I'll help you markup for Winyl skinning system.

Regards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:56:15 PM by Alexander »