Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: A couple bugs, 1 feature request  (Read 1276 times)

February 19, 2018, 07:48:00 PM
    • View Profile
A couple bugs, 1 feature request
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »
Using winyl version 3.2.2:

"bugs":

#1:
- The problem is with the skin-sets "Air for Winyl" and "Nera"
- What's happening is the Main Headers on the side (Now Playing, Artists, Genres, etc) and the Album Group Title in the playlist area have their text/language changed to what looks like either some other language or just random indecipherable text
- All the other skin-sets I have downloaded (which are all the ones I could find), appear as they should

#2:
- I have my music organized such that I have separate folders for each artist
- In these folders I have separate (files) "mixes" that are typically 1-2 hours long each
- When added to the Library each mix is listed under the first (?) mix in the list - as though they are all songs in that album - not ideal, but ok
- Now here's the issue... because each item in the playlist is itself essentially an album, they each have their own individual coverart already
- But sometimes when a mix is played, it will display what it considers to be the Album Group coverart (the first file?), while other times it properly displays the coverart from the mix (file) it's actually playing
- Bascially, it should always display the coverart from whatever file is playing (but it doesn't), rather than what it considers to be the Album Group's coverart (the first file?)

A feature request:
- One day I noticed that the Radio-stream (DI-Radio.com) I use was "down" - (Thankfully, it was just a temporary problem)
- I appreciate the fact that radio streams are built-in as it means a user doesn't have to go around the net trying to find these, however...
- Would it not be better if the radio-streams were built-in as they are, but could also be edited (added/deleted) manually by a user?
- That way no matter what happens in the future (a radio stream no longer online, or new ones become available), this feature of the program would always be viable - and possibly easier to maintain as well

Thanks for everything

February 19, 2018, 11:54:06 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A couple bugs, 1 feature request
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »
- What's happening is the Main Headers on the side (Now Playing, Artists, Genres, etc) and the Album Group Title in the playlist area have their text/language changed to what looks like either some other language or just random indecipherable text
These skins uses custom fonts, it looks like it somehow connected to the issue, but I can't reproduce it. I'll check it later.

- When added to the Library each mix is listed under the first (?) mix in the list - as though they are all songs in that album - not ideal, but ok
Could you make a screenshot?

- Now here's the issue... because each item in the playlist is itself essentially an album, they each have their own individual coverart already
- But sometimes when a mix is played, it will display what it considers to be the Album Group coverart (the first file?), while other times it properly displays the coverart from the mix (file) it's actually playing
I think it's because the cover art only changes when the album or folder of the track changed. It is a small optimization, but it can lead to such results sometimes. I'll think about ways to deal with it.

- Would it not be better if the radio-streams were built-in as they are, but could also be edited (added/deleted) manually by a user?
You can add radio streams to a playlist. Main menu -> Add to Playlst -> Radio/URL

February 21, 2018, 02:14:27 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:14:27 AM »
I took a few screen-shots and was going to post them, but I ran into some difficulties along the way. So I'm going to try and explain it as best I can...

I was trying to show that the list of files are sorted in different orders by the program, with the info from the first file being displayed at the top of the list (cover-art, title and year). But each view on the menu sidebar (Artist name, Artist Album, Folder) sorts differently, making things inconsistent - in other words, the sorting changes the first file in the list, and that in turn changes the album header info at the top (cover-art, title and year). Ideally, if there is no sort option available to a user, then data should be sorted alphanumerically by default. This does not appear to be the case here. Another issue I found is that the cover-art from the first file you play is retained in winyl's main window (the large cover-art area), no matter what files you play thereafter. So, playing another file with different cover-art won't update the cover-art, it still displays the cover-art from the first file.  The only way to "reset" it is to load another skin or restart the program. After you do this, it then shows the correct cover-art for the first file you then play. But then it behaves the same way all over again. The cover-art from the next file you play is retained from then on.

I'm glad to hear that the Radio/URL feature is already included in the program, and that you may have a solution for the scrambled text. Thanks again.

February 21, 2018, 02:30:02 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:30:02 AM »
I kinda got sidetracked with all this talk about consistently sorted files, and forgot to address my initial concern - which was that all the files appear to be songs in a single album, when in fact each file is it's own mix of songs, it's own album. I don't know what an easy fix for this would be, if there even is one.

February 21, 2018, 07:14:55 AM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:55 AM »
The following issues:
the sorting changes the first file in the list
the cover-art from the first file you play is retained in winyl's main window
all the files appear to be songs in a single album, when in fact each file is it's own mix of songs
looks really strange. How do you tag your files? Because these issues should not appear with properly tagged files. Screenshots would be really helpful.

Ideally, if there is no sort option available to a user
It's planned, and it's high priority right now.

February 22, 2018, 05:04:25 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 05:04:25 AM »
-Clicking on each image will take you to the site hosting the full-size image
-I included text in each screen-shot trying to explain what's going on
-As far as how the files are being tagged, I got the Ahmed Romel files from Podomatic, and have not altered the tags in any way
-Inspecting the tags as they are, they seem to contain basic tag information and appear to be consistent with the exception of the file for Orchestrance 215, where the title tag is simply "Ahmed Romel - Orchestrance" instead of "Ahmed Romel - Orchestrance 215"... (nothing "earth-shattering" in other words)

-So here are the screen-shots:

February 22, 2018, 07:11:10 AM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:11:10 AM »
Now I see. The main problem that all of these mixes are albums but they have the same album tag and they are located in the same folder, so for the player these files look like part of one album, this is where everything goes wrong. To fix this you need to:

1. Change the album tag: Orchestrance 218 for Orchestrance 218, Orchestrance 219 for Orchestrance 219 etc.

2. And if you want to use "Folders", you need to move every file to a different subfolder. The folder structure should look like this:

Ahmed Romel (Artist folder)
- Orchestrance 218 (Subfolder in Ahmed Romel folder)
-- Orchestrance 218.mp3 (file in subfolder Orchestrance 218)
- Orchestrance 219 (Subfolder in Ahmed Romel folder)
-- Orchestrance 219.mp3 (file in subfolder Orchestrance 219)
etc.

Also you can use only second solution if you don't want to change tags in these files. Sorting in "Artists" still be incorrect because it based on tags, but it fixes everything else. And you can just use "Folders" for this artist.

February 22, 2018, 07:50:24 AM
Reply #7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the info and the suggestions. I guess I'll have to think about which one(s) will work best for me. I'm probably not going to want to re-tag every file, because I've got them on a usb thumb drive - and I've heard that the more you write and rewrite files on that media, the faster you shorten it's lifespan. So if I rewrite the tags, doesn't that rewrite the whole file? And the size of these files add up pretty quickly. Also, I was wondering if the album tag is the reason why it keeps showing the same cover-art as well, or is that related to a different issue? Thanks again for your help.

February 22, 2018, 09:06:02 AM
Reply #8
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
I'm probably not going to want to re-tag every file, because I've got them on a usb thumb drive - and I've heard that the more you write and rewrite files on that media, the faster you shorten it's lifespan. So if I rewrite the tags, doesn't that rewrite the whole file?
For most audio formats only a header will be rewritten, I believe the only exception is .ogg. Anyway, you shouldn't care much about the number of rewrites, it's very big.
Also you don't need to rewrite all files, only this particular artist.

I was wondering if the album tag is the reason why it keeps showing the same cover-art as well, or is that related to a different issue?
Yes, it is the same issue. But either solution will work because the cover art changes when the album or folder changed as I mentioned before.

February 23, 2018, 07:39:30 AM
Reply #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
Thanks for all your help, I've got no more questions :)

February 23, 2018, 01:04:48 PM
Reply #10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
Bonjour

Problème de pochette non correcte.

Les conditions : dans la  fenêtre [propriétés] de chaque fichier, l'onglet [pochette]  l'image visualisée est correcte.

Si une seule pochette dans un répertoire, l'affichage est correct (un répertoire = un album = une pochette).

Par contre, si plusieurs fichiers image dans le même répertoire, la fenêtre principale de winyl affiche le fichier qui est le premier par ordre alphabétique dans ce répertoire alors que l'image dans [propriétés] est bonne.

voir les captures écran

A plus

Hello

Problem of cover not correct.

The conditions: in the [properties] window of each file, the [pocket] tab the image displayed is correct.

If only one cover in a directory, the display is correct (a directory = an album = a cover).

On the other hand, if several image files in the same directory, the winyl main window displays the file which is the first in alphabetical order in this directory while the image in [properties] is good.

see screenshots

See you

February 23, 2018, 01:21:53 PM
Reply #11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
La suite des captures

February 24, 2018, 08:24:50 AM
Reply #12
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Winyl uses the following algorithm when search for the cover art:
1. Search for jpeg/png file with name that contains "Front" or "Cover"
2. Read the cover art from tags
3. Search for jpeg/png file with name "Folder"
If all steps fail then use 1st jpeg/png file.

Also the properties dialog always prioritizes the cover art from tags,
but the player always prioritizes the cover art from jpeg/png file so you can change it without editing tags.

In short, if you need that the player always use the cover art from tags, then album folder should not contain jpeg/png files with name "Front" or "Cover".

February 24, 2018, 02:47:09 PM
Reply #13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
Bonjour
Merçi de votre réponse rapide
"In short, if you need that the player always use the cover art from tags, then album folder should not contain jpeg/png files with name "Front" or "Cover".
Bien, j'ai testé dans un répertoire avec 80 fichiers mp3 et 10 pochettes différentes : ok
Mais mon répertoire contient 1400 mp3 et 100 pochettes environs et là ça ne fonctionne plus.Il prend une pochette qui n'est pas la première dans la liste mais celle située à la xxx position ?
?????
a plus

Hello
Thank you for your quick reply
"In short, if you need the player always use the cover art from tags, then album folder should not contain jpeg / png files with" Front "or" Cover ".
Well, I tested in a directory with 80 mp3 files and 10 different pockets: ok
But my repertoire contains 1400 mp3 and 100 pockets around and it does not work anymore. He takes a cover that is not the first in the list but the one located in the xxx position?
?????
see you

February 25, 2018, 08:01:52 AM
Reply #14
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
There is no difference in the number of files. The algorithm is actually pretty simple, there can't be any bugs.
Make sure that all .mp3 files in one album embed the same cover art, and you don't have any jpeg/png files with the name that contains "Front" or "Cover" in the album folder.