Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Any modification of a mp3 tag breaks the artwork on iTunes.  (Read 3256 times)

September 07, 2014, 11:35:35 PM
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any modification of a mp3 tag breaks the artwork on iTunes.
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »
Hi, I'm having this strange issue with cover art that I'm gonna try to explain... with my limited English.

Even though I'm not modifying the cover art and "Embed cover art to music file" is unchecked, every time I do some modification to the tag on winyl -Editing the "artist name", for example, or embedding the downloaded lyrics- Everything works great on Winyl. But if I open the file on iTunes The artwork is now gone and replaced by a weird 1x1 pixel thing.

This is what regular artwork looks like on the iTunes mp3 tag editor:

And this is what happens after I edit the file on Winyl:

The reason I care about this is because I still have to use iTunes to sync my music to my iPod (And having the artwork on my iPod is very important to me)
I got really sad after realizing about this issue, I'm a singer and being  able to get Lyrics this easy was a dream come true for me... I almost got a heart attack when I when I realized all the cover art on iTunes was gone (I know it sounds kinda melodramatic but it took me several years to have my gigantic library so neatly)

Is there anything you can do about this?

Thanks for your time and sorry abut my shitty English.

Edit: I forgot to add this happens not only in the latest version but in previous versions as well. Also, I'm on Windows 8.1 x64
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:58:09 PM by zequi »

September 09, 2014, 08:34:21 PM
Reply #1
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any modification of a mp3 tag breaks the artwork on iTunes.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
I will try to investigate the problem.

To restore cover arts, download Mp3Tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
then open your mp3 files in it and just click the save button in Mp3Tag toolbar. This should fix all cover arts.

Also, does it happen only with mp3 files? And please send me one of these files.

September 09, 2014, 10:32:52 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
Hi, Alexander. Thanks for answering  :)

As you said, mp3tag fixes the issue. Thanks.

There's not many file formats I can try since iTunes won't play most of them (wma, ogg, aac, flac). That leaves us with m4a and mp3

I just tried on several m4a files and the artwork was still there as expected.

And most important, The issue seems to only affect ID3v2.2 and ID3v2.3 tags, All the mp3s with ID3v2.4 tags that I tried gave me no problems.

If you still need the files, here they are:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Q0pWha7B!unBPOu2LMqNK3nUcIJU-LFrf-aspa5myEx9vBBxeLek - After editing it with Winyl it doesn't show the Artwork on iTunes anymore.
https://mega.co.nz/#!4hpgBTbL!kjGscf4MsoxIRHM--8YwQcWQnJAUdvLbFAnO5ZIgtW8 - unaffected after editing it with Winyl

September 10, 2014, 12:18:11 PM
Reply #3
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »
This file has 3 versions of tags: ID3v1, ID3v2.3 and Lyrics3v2. Maybe this combination of tags is causing the problem in iTunes, because after editing the file in Winyl it works good in all audio software that I have installed, so it looks like a problem only in iTunes. I know that there were problems with ID3v2.3 in old versions, I thought it's fixed in the new versions, but as I see it's not.
I recommend to convert tags in all your mp3 files to ID3v2.4 (you can do this with Mp3Tag), in this case Winyl will write tags in ID3v2.4 version (Winyl always writes tags in the same format and version as it was) and it solve the problem with iTunes.

September 19, 2014, 11:08:13 AM
Reply #4
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
I added workaround for this problem in the latest version 3.0.3. It works fine with iTunes now.

September 19, 2014, 05:54:27 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
I just tested it, everything seems to be working as expected.
Thanks you, Alexander  :)