Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Discussion about Winyl 3  (Read 36519 times)

May 13, 2014, 10:37:08 PM
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Discussion about Winyl 3
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
Discussion about Winyl 3.

May 13, 2014, 11:54:14 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion about Winyl 3
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the new version!
I tested the portable build because I didn't dare install it over Winyl 2.9.4. The portable version is an excellent idea. I tested it for about 15 minutes and didn't encounter any problems.
I don't like the new flat skins so I will have to keep the good old ones.
I didn't find a way to add my own favourite radio stations- is this possible?
I hoped that version 3.0 of Winyl would have support of Cue Sheets (CUE files) but it doesn't. This feature is essential for me. Does the developer have any plans to implement support for Cue Sheets?
Regards

May 14, 2014, 12:03:21 AM
Reply #2
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »
I tested the portable build because I didn't dare install it over Winyl 2.9.4.
You can install it over 2.9.4 without any worries, the installer will update the old version.

I didn't find a way to add my own favourite radio stations- is this possible?
Main menu -> Add to Playlist -> Radio/URL

I hoped that version 3.0 of Winyl would have support of Cue Sheets (CUE files) but it doesn't. This feature is essential for me. Does the developer have any plans to implement support for Cue Sheets?
Yes, it's planned for 3.1.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:17:56 AM by Alexander »

May 14, 2014, 01:15:11 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »
Alexander, thank you for the tip about adding radio stations, I thought I should add stations from 'Radios' menu. I have already managed to add to Winyl some of my favourite stations:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2nbuh5i.png

and Winyl played all of them without any problems. Winyl even showed a notification about the played radio track nicely which I didn't expect- great job, many thanks! Since I have lots of favourite stations I would like to ask whether there is a way to export the playlist that contains all these stations in case that I have to re-install OS since adding stations one by one is a tedious and time-consuming job.

About Cue Sheets- support for CUEs is extremely important for me because I have at least 100 disks ripped in this pattern- Disk Name.APE (or FLAC, or WV) plus Disk Name.APE.CUE and these CUE files help me to navigate through these huge single lossless audio files and play the individual tracks inside them. In fact the lack of support for Cue Sheets is the main reason why Winyl is not my default audio player (AIMP, foobar2000 and since recently XMPlay all have an excellent support for CUEs. So I will wait for the release of Winyl 3.1 with great expectations and little patience.  :)

Yes, I installed Winyl 3.0.0.0 over Winyl 2.9.4.0 and there were no problems at all- the conversion of music library was fast, fluent and successful (about 500 GB of audio files)- all settings were remembered and all old skins- intact. Nice!

I would like to suggest a tiny new feature- hovering the mouse cursor over a folder inside 'Folders' menu shows the full name of the folder- this would be handy and useful especially when users have folders with quite long names- for example- Gaspard Le Roux - Pieces de Clavecin - Christophe Rousset.

Regards from Sofia, Bulgaria,

Asen

May 14, 2014, 01:01:22 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
Thank you very much, Alexander. ;D

May 14, 2014, 05:19:04 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Hi,

I added a radio station that way (the name I gave it shows up under Playlists->Radios).

But when I double click it, it gives an error: "File not found or unsupported fiel format."

Can someone give me an example of what exactly would go into the URL: field under Add Radio/URL?  I put in the website url that they sent me to after clicking "24 hour Program Stream" on their website.

Using NPR as an example:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=3&t=live1&islist=false

Thanks,
Ron
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:21:14 PM by Ron Strilaeff »

May 14, 2014, 09:30:08 PM
Reply #6
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
I would like to ask whether there is a way to export the playlist that contains all these stations in case that I have to re-install OS since adding stations one by one is a tedious and time-consuming job.
I'm afraid it's not possible. But Winyl can import M3U playlists, and you can use it to store your favorite radios. It's a simple text format, see example in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
Or you can create the M3U playlist in another player.

About Cue Sheets- support for CUEs is extremely important for me because I have at least 100 disks ripped in this pattern- Disk Name.APE (or FLAC, or WV) plus Disk Name.APE.CUE...
By the way, for testing 3.1 I need a couple of testers who have a large collection of CUE files. So I can inform you by email when 3.1 Beta released.

I would like to suggest a tiny new feature- hovering the mouse cursor over a folder inside 'Folders' menu shows the full name of the folder- this would be handy and useful especially when users have folders with quite long names- for example- Gaspard Le Roux - Pieces de Clavecin - Christophe Rousset.
I'll see what can be done there.

May 14, 2014, 09:32:54 PM
Reply #7
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
I added a radio station that way (the name I gave it shows up under Playlists->Radios).
But when I double click it, it gives an error: "File not found or unsupported fiel format."

Using NPR as an example:
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=3&t=live1&islist=false
You need direct link to audio stream. On this page http://www.npr.org/audiohelp/progstream.html look at Alternate formats: MP3 (WinAmp, iTunes, etc.).
So you need this link: http://www.npr.org/streams/mp3/nprlive24.pls

May 14, 2014, 11:40:53 PM
Reply #8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
By the way, for testing 3.1 I need a couple of testers who have a large collection of CUE files. So I can inform you by email when 3.1 Beta released.

I have enormous quantity of CUE files. You can always rely on me for testing of Cue Sheets. If needed I can also create an account for you on my FTP server so that you could download lossless audio files plus CUE files.

Regards

May 15, 2014, 07:49:36 AM
Reply #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »
Thanks Alexander... that's the clue I needed.  Now I know what to look for :-)

That and this easy to use, bloat-free software opens up a whole new world!

May 16, 2014, 06:01:25 PM
Reply #10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
Loving the new Flat skin and all! Thank you so much! :)

May 17, 2014, 09:26:37 PM
Reply #11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »
Thank you Sasha! We love you! Great work!

May 27, 2014, 08:12:15 AM
Reply #12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
I do not like some smart lists are sorted. For example, the list of new songs. Before ordering by descending order of arrival and when you added a song to the library that was added to those already on that list. Now are sorted by alphabetical order and when you add a new song to the library erases the other newly added leaves you alone in the last one income.
I hope you have understood, I will be aware of the answer.

Sorry for my bad English. I wrote it with the help of Google translator.

May 27, 2014, 12:56:27 PM
Reply #13
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
I do not like some smart lists are sorted. For example, the list of new songs. Before ordering by descending order of arrival and when you added a song to the library that was added to those already on that list. Now are sorted by alphabetical order and when you add a new song to the library erases the other newly added leaves you alone in the last one income.
Yes, it was changed in 3.0. I consider the new behavior is more accurate.
Currently there is no way to use the old behavior, but I'm planning to add it.

May 29, 2014, 12:18:12 AM
Reply #14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »
Yes, it was changed in 3.0. I consider the new behavior is more accurate.
Currently there is no way to use the old behavior, but I'm planning to add it.

It would be nice. It gave much use to that list before the update, I would like to reuse as before.
Thanks for the quick response :)